Department of Oral Biology & Tooth Morphology AMDC was established in 2016 with the constitution of Dental Section AMDC.
- Provides a stimulating environment for highly motivated and qualified students to prepare them for a rewarding career in academics.
- Encompass studies of fundamental biological phenomenon related to the development, structure, and function of the craniofacial region.
- Focus on the latest scientific development related to the mouth and oral biology and health offering basic science in a clinical context.
- Build a strong existing foundation and will enhance and further broaden commitment to cutting edge research into the molecular basis of diseases.
Area: The Department occupies 500 square-feet (Oral Biology Laboratory) & 250 square-feet (Oral Biology Departmental Office) on the third floor of the Main college building at the Akhtar Saeed Medical & Dental College.
Activities: The laboratory is fully equipped with microscopes for visualizing histological sections of oral tissues, along with tooth models to further enhance their skills on identification of individual teeth. Laboratory-based education is encouraged to synergize learning to foster passion for excelling in Oral Biology in order to build a successful research career in the future. The lecture delivery takes place in the designated lecture hall on the first floor of the main college while the tutorials and practical sessions take place within the Oral Biology laboratory.
GOAL OF ORAL BIOLOGY &TOOTH MORPHOLOGY
Oral biology & Tooth Morphology comprises of oral histology, embryology, and physiology& tooth morphology.The broad goal of teaching the subjectis concerned with the study of the nature of the oral & craniofacial tissues along with the application of basic scientific knowledge of oral tissues in health and diseased state.
It includes the study of embryology, growth and development coupled with details of structure, composition and functions of cells, tissues and organs of the oral cavity. By its nature Oral biology overlaps the Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Dental Sciences.
The rationale for a distinct program in oral biology is to provide:
(1) A focus for the traditional basic health sciences, and
(2) A base of oral biological knowledge upon which clinical subjects of the dental curriculum and dental practice can rest.
The Department of Oral Biology & Tooth Morphology at AMDC has an experienced teaching faculty which is challenged to develop new ways to disseminate knowledge that will encourage students to remain lifelong learners. Our diverse teaching faculty and use of innovative teaching strategies such as lectures on multimedia, interactive sessions and educational videos enables us to maintain a comprehensive learning environment. We also conduct assignments and assessments on a periodic basis to evaluate the academic progress of our students.
The laboratory is fully equipped with microscopes for visualizing histological sections of oral tissues, along with tooth models to further enhance their skills on identification of individual teeth. We encourage laboratory-based education to synergize learning and to motivate students to undertake research projects early on in their professional years to foster passion for excelling in their chosen field of specialty in order to build a successful research career in the future.
|1||Dr. Kanza Nawadat||HEAD OF DEPARTMENT|
|2||Dr Safi Ullah Khan||Demonstrator|
|3||Dr Neelam Khalid||Demonstrator|
|4||Qasim Raza||Laboratory Assistant|
Dr. Kanza Nawadat (BDS, M.Sc (U.K)
Dr. Kanza Nawadat graduated from Islamic International Medical and Dental College Islamabad in 2012. She did her post graduation (M.Sc Oral Biology) with a Merit from Queen Mary University of London in 2015. Right after her M.Sc degree she joined Islamabad Medical and Dental College in Dec 2015 as a Senior Registrar in the Department of Oral Biology, where she served for a period of 2 years. There she was actively involved in the teaching of Oral Biology and Tooth Morphology to the 1st year BDS students. She was also under training for the modular education system program supervised by a very competent team of medical and dental education at Islamabad Medical and Dental College. She joined Akhtar Saeed Medical and Dental College as an Assistant Professor in January 2018.
Presently she is serving as an Assistant professor and Head of the Department of Oral Biology and Tooth Morphology at Akhtar Saeed Medical and Dental College Lahore.
- 21st February 2020 Symposium on ‘The Skin of my Teeth: The Enamel-Saliva Continuum’ by Professor Paul Anderson at AMDC, Lahore, Pakistan.
- 23rd Nov 2016 Construction and implementation of PBLS ( Problem Based Learning Senarios)
Pakistan Human Salivary Research Group
- 23rd Nov 2016 Human Saliva Banking Workshop
Pakistan Association Of Dental Research
- 23rd Nov 2016 Research Methodology Workshop
Pakistan Dental Association
- 11th – 13th Nov 2016 “Innovations in dentistry ….a way forward”- 13th international and 33rd National dental congress
Institute of Advancement of Dental Sciences and Research
- 19th – 21st May 2017 IADSR International Dentrepreneur conference-2017.
- 21th – 24th April 2011 IADSR International conference-2011.
- 27th – 29th April 2012 IADSR International conference-2012.
- 2012 Poster Competition at IADSR Institute Conference.
Real Medicine and Dental Public health Foundation
- 2011 1st free dental camp“Hansta Muskarata Pakistan”
- 20th October 2012 1st dental symposium on restorative dentistry
Organized by Colgate
2012 “Free dental Check-Up” at different Schools in Islamabad
- At the 67th ORCA Congress CET, Sardinia Italy 9th – 10th July 2020 (ORCA: European Organization for Caries Research). An Oral Presentation followed by a poster presentation on the following topic was presented Topic: “Dosed-Response cariostatic efficacy of combined stannous fluoride ions: An in-vitro ISE study”.
Dr. Kanza Nawadat has a special interest in the field of research; her main area of research interest is cariology. She wishes to undertake research as part of her career along being a thriving dental academician.
Dr Safi Ullah Khan (B.Sc, BDS, M.Phil Scholar)
Dr Safi Ullah Khan did his B.Sc from University of the Punjab, Lahore. He is a graduate of Margalla College of Dentistry, Rawalpindi from where he completed his Bachelors in Dental Surgery (BDS) in 2014. Afterwards, he did his 1 year of clinical training from Fatima Memorial Hospital and College of Medicine & Dentistry, Lahore, Pakistan in 2015 which is a recognized institution by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PM&DC). He then got admitted in the Masters Program of session 2016-2018 in the subject of Oral Biology at University of Health Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan. He has passed both M.Phil (Year I & II) Annual Examinations which included the course work for both the major (Oral Biology) and the minor subjects (General Anatomy & Immunology) of the program. He is done with his research project as well as thesis submission to the examination department of the respective university and is waiting for thesis’s public defense. Currently, he has been working as a Senior Lecturer at Akhtar Saeed Dental College in the Department of Oral Biology & Tooth Morphology since 4th Dec 2017 till date.
Khan, S.U. and Ghafoor, S., 2019. Myokines: Discovery Challenges and Therapeutic Impediments. differentiation, 20, p.22.
A research paper was presented at the 1st UHS International Dental Conference held on the 3rd to 5th October, 2019 at Expo Centre, Lahore, Pakistan in its Oral paper presentation category. The paper acclaimed an overall 2nd position in this particular competition among all the other participants. The title of the research paper is given below;
“Comparison of salivary irisin level in patients with chronic periodontitis and healthy individuals”.
- 2nd Annual Conference of Pakistan Association for Dental Research (IADR Pakistan Section) held from 4th to 6th September 2015 at UHS, Lahore, Pakistan.
- 3rd National Conference of Pakistan Association of Medical Editors held from 1st to 2nd April 2016 at UHS, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Pre-conference workshop on ‘Good teaching to Great teaching: Crossing the Fence’ held at LMDC, Lahore, Pakistan on 27th October 2016.
- 1st UHS International Dental Conference held from 3rd to 5th October 2019 at Expo Centre, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Symposium on ‘The Skin of my Teeth: The Enamel-Saliva Continuum’ by Professor Paul Anderson on 21st February 2020 at AMDC, Lahore, Pakistan.
Dr Safi Ullah Khan has special interest in pursuing his career as an academician as well as a researcher. His areas of research interest are oral immunology and salivary proteomics.
Dr. Neelam Khalid (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
Dr. Neelam Khalid is a graduate of Sharif Medical and Dental college from where she completed her Bachelors in Dental Surgery (BDS) in 2015. Afterwards, she completed her one-year clinical training from Sharif Medical City Hospital in year 2016-17. She then got enrolled in a clinical diploma program in Advanced General Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry offered by Macro to Micro Institute of Dental Skills. Furthermore, she also has a clinical experience of 2 years in general dentistry while serving in her hometown District Headquarters Hospital Kotli, Azad Kashmir from year 2017 to 2019. Currently, she has been working as a demonstrator in the Department of Oral Biology & Tooth Morphology since 14th January 2020 till date.
- 3rd Institute of Advanced Dental Sciences & Research (IADSR) Conference, March 2013 (Attendee).
- 2nd Institute of Advanced Dental Sciences & Research (IADSR) Conference, Feb 2012 (Attendee).
- 1st Institute of Advanced Dental Sciences & Research (IADSR) Conference, Sept 2011 (Attendee).
Dr. Neelam Khalid is very keen to continue her career as an academician and a clinician. Moreover, her aim is to enhance her knowledge and experience in the field of dental academia and to be update her clinical skills compatible with the recent advances in the field of dentistry.